With the support of Cork Education & Training Board (CETB), BRIJ has teamed up with Benchspace to deliver a brand new reach-out programme for Asylum Seekers.
Classes will take place in the evenings and over some weekends between February & September 2022 in the Benchspace facility at the Marina Commercial Park on Centre Park Road in Cork
There are limited places so apply early
All applicants MUST be prepared to attend all elements of the programme between February & September 2022.
This programme is open to both Female & Male applicants
Come along to our Open Night for Asylum Seekers & BRIJ Volunteers on Wednesday 2nd February at the Benchspace facility from 7pm.
Let us know if you are interested in attending the Open Night or joining the programme by emailing BrijCork.firstname.lastname@example.org straight away
MORE DETAILS BELOW
Creative Skills: Reaching out to Asylum Seekers to identify existing & potential creative skills
and encourage that they avail of benshspace’s facilities and resources. Develop health and
safety and modern workshop best practices
Business Development: Mentoring Asylum Seekers with existing and potential creative skills
in enterprise, business development, for their own particular needs.
● Assess and mentor participants with existing and potential creative skills
● Introduce participants to an understanding of best practices in safe use of workshop
● Educate participants understanding and knowledge of machines covered in the
programme. For example - Laser Cutter & Engraver, Chop saw, Band Saw, several
Hand Tools and drills
● Equip participants with the basic knowledge and skills in wood preparation
● Introduce the materials, tools, skills and techniques used in working with wood.
● Business development skills
● Integrate participants with existing maker communities in benchspace.
● Students will understand and exploit the properties of a range of wood types suitable
for wood construction.
● Use appropriate safe techniques and skills to construct a project around certain
● Prepare digital design files for manufacture in a laser cutter.
● Understand and exploit the properties of a range of materials commonly used with
● Understand business concepts and outline next steps for development.